Monday, May 21, 2018

PRT - Treaty of Waitangi

Engaging with Local Iwi.

School Kits - Treaty Stories.  I have engaged with School Kits in their national 'Treaty Stories Project'.   This is one of ten national stories documenting a project of national significance.   To date I have had two meetings with the liason people for the project (School Kits).  I have further accessed a local High School teacher who has forty years experience with the area (Murray Dobbin) and had two lengthy conversations with him.  He has encouraged me with professional readings and research.

Last week we had a significant meeting with local Iwi (Nga Ruahine) about the project.  We also had representatives from the Taranaki Mounga projects (Sean).   As a result of this meeting we have agreed to move forward to look at meeting again with the School Kits people present and representatives of the Iwi.   This will take place in June. 

In the short term I want to continue my professional reading on the matter (I have ordered 'I Shall not die by James Belich) which deals with the issues from 1868-9.   I have made my way through the Nga Ruahine treaty documents to further make myself through local history,

This project will alow our students and the students of the Kura to work collaboratively in a sharing of knowledge and resources.   This would allow us to directly look at addressing the RTC of criteria one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment